Saturday, November 24, 2012

And here we go again-Bonnie Hunter mystery

Another Bonnie Hunter mystery has begun:

I finally got my fabric washed last night - about half of it was washed and I have found recently that I get stuffed up using fabric not washed so now the rest is washed.

I originally picked these fabrics :
But I wasn't crazy about my grey(at the far end), it is a mottled green/grey/pinky. I am using yellow instead of purple. The greens and blues are much brighter than they show here.

I went back to my stash as I was determined to not go shopping and I found this great black with some white so I am using it as my grey and it feels will see if it works:

On to Clue 1 released yesterday. Four patches which will be made with black and black on white in my case. Here are some strips sewn together; I think this is enough for half of what is required.

Here they are cut into twosies.

And...........the first few 4 patches. I love them and hope to get the rest sewn tomorrow. 

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Roll roll cotton boll finished!!!!

Actually finished sewing the binding on this quilt last Saturday but haven't had time to take a picture and get it posted until today. Had 2 full day seminars for work this week with an overnite stay with my sister-in-law and brother-in-law downtown. It was nice to have a 10 minute walk after class rather than an hour drive home and a nicer start to day 2 with the same 10 minute walk back to the conference centre.
Anyway here is my latest quilt finish:

                                         The pieced border turned out fantastic-thanks to Bonnie Hunter that we started it at step 2 of the mystery. If I knew how much work there was in the border I may not have attempted but I will probably not do a plain border without thinking about a pieced one in the future.
 This is a close up of the quilting done by my niece Cathy Tomm - I hope you can see the detail as it is beautiful. There is feathers in all the string blocks and curls and loops in the pieced blocks. I have also taken a picture of the back to showcase the quilting but with the light reflecting not sure if you can really see it.
I have been sorting through projects to see what else I can finish before Bonnie Hunter's next mystery starts is 2 weeks. I pulled out Cathedral Stars (another Bonnie Hunter pattern) and completed half of the blocks. I had all the Jacob's Ladder blocks ready to sew the rows together so they are now done. Now I need to make 30 more star blocks. I have all the pieces ready for 13 of them and all the 4 patches ready for the rest so will keep working at it. 
I just finished trimming a scrappy quilt that is almost ready for the Victoria Hospice so off to put the binding on that and with a bonus day off tomorrow maybe I will get something else finished.